Everything in Tanzania is made by scratch. One food that I don’t really love in America is spaghetti. This is because often times as a vegetarian, spaghetti is your only option. Well, I found a sauce that makes spaghetti a craving of mine quite often. I think it’s the sweet flavor this tomato sauce that makes it super good. I’ll never have ragu again when I can easily have this tomato sauce!
- 8-12 medium tomatoes, grated (it’s worth grating them instead of using canned tomatoes for their flavor) – if you want to try, you can try a 14.5 oz can of crushed tomatoes, thought you might need to increase some of the spices.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons basil
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat oil in a pan and add onions and cook until translucent
2) Add garlic and cook for an additional minute or two
3) Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, herbs, and sugar/honey. Simmer over medium heat the sauce thickens a little and becomes your desired consistency
Serve over any cooked pasta.
Variations: add other vegetables during step 3. Some examples include: green peppers, carrots, zucchini, or mushrooms.