Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Lentil Soup

Whenever I would go to a restaurant and see lentil soup, I would get incredibly excited and always order it. Finally, I decided it was time to make my own lentil soup since I love it so much. I was lucky when I came across this recipe and it was perfect. I have been using this recipe for years now and I don't know where it originated from anymore. The first time that I made it, my husband and I ate the entire pot. We've never even become close to eating the whole pot again! Recently, I made it for my mom and aunt and they both loved it, too. I am posting it on my blog so that my mom can easily locate the recipe to make it for herself!

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups dry lentils 
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 cup fresh spinach 
  • 2 tablespoon vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  1.  In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and celery; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil. Cook for 2 minutes.
  2. Stir in lentils and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until lentils are soft. When ready to serve, stir in spinach and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more vinegar if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter