I looooveee mutter paneer. I pretty much order this everytime I go to an Indian restaurant. We bought a lot of paneer (cheese) in Ottawa. It's a special Indian cheese and can't be found in small towns around the USA. If you live in a larger area, you will definitely be able to find it, especially in Indian specialty food shops. Well, I bought it to make mutter paneer, but all the recipes I found on the internet never made a really good mutter paneer. I was trying to find another recipe to use all this paneer with. I found this awesome website and found the best recipe called palak paneer. It uses spinach. I also learned the secret to cooking with paneer. They taught me that you should soak the cheese in cold water AFTER cooking it. It worked like a charm . I was shocked. So, without further ado, please check out the recipe AND the site below:
Spinach - 1, 16oz pkt chopped, frozen
Paneer - 7 oz or 200 g
Oil – 3 tbsp
Onions – 2 med, minced
Ginger – 1″ pc, minced
Garlic – 4 cloves, minced
Water – 1/2 cup
14oz can pureed tomatoes
Garam Masala - 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Salt - to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Heavy Whipping Cream – 8 tbsp or to taste
1. Cook frozen Spinach with 1/2 cup Water in a microwave safe dish for 7-8 minutes stirring in between.
2. Blend cooked Spinach to desired texture (avoid over-blending).
3. Heat 2 tbsp Oil in a medium non-stick pan on high heat.
4. Once Oil is hot, add in the minced Onions, stir, cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add in the Ginger and Garlic and mix. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
6. Add in the Tomates, cover and cook till the oil seperates from the mixture.
7. Keep stirring frequently as the Masala (Onion, Tomato, Ginger & Garlic mixture) tends to burn very fast.
8. While the Masala is cooking, cube the paneer to desired size…1/2″ cubes work well.
9. In a non-stick frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp Oil.
10. Once Oil is hot, add in the paneer cubes and let them cook till they are golden brown on all sides.
11. Remove from the pan into a plate with paper towel to soak the excess oil.
12. In a couple of minutes, pour the Paneer into a bowl of cold water. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
13. Meanwhile, once the Masala is prepared, add in the mashed Spinach.
14. Mix and add the Garam Masala, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Salt, Chili Powder & Turmeric Powder.
15. Mix well and cook for 3-5 minutes.
16. Add in the desired amount of Cream and /or Milk. Mix and cook for another few minutes.
17. Gently squeeze the water out of the paneer and add to mixture.
18. When thoroughly heated through, serve over rice!
The most awesome website that helped make this delicious dish!