Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Ice Cream Cake

When I was engaged, I made a lot of decisions to not do things in a traditional manner. One of those things involved a "honeymoon" shower instead of a typical wedding shower.  However, one thing that I definitely wanted to remain in tradition was the collection of recipes from friends and family!  Of course, I requested everything to be vegetarian.

Skip a few months and let's bring it to August 18 which is my friend's birthday.  Our mutual friend told me that she wanted an ice cream cake for her big day.  Instead of buying one at Friendly's like I typically would have, I decided to try one of the recipes that was given to me at my shower.  Thanks to my mom's friend, Kathy for this recipe!

Ingredients: 
  • 1 package of oreo cookies
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream (however, you could substitute this with any flavor you like)
  • 2 jars of hot fudge
  • 1 container of cool whip
Method:
  1. Crush oreos into small pieces, then remove a small amount for top of dessert
  2. Melt all of the butter and mix into the remainder of the cookies
  3. Press mixture into a 13x9 pan 
  4. Place into freezer for about 15 minutes or until frozen hard
  5. Soften ice cream until you can spread easily over crushed oreos.
  6. Place into freezer for about 35 minutes or until frozen hard
  7. Microwave hot fudge according to directions on the jar and spread over the ice cream
  8. Return everything back to the freezer until the hot fudge freezes
  9. Top with cook whip and remaining crushed cookies
Serving:
Take out of freezer 15-20 minutes before serving

To continue with my story, I brought this to work for my friend's birthday.  Everyone raved about the recipe and how good it was.  My boss literally was stalking the freezer to continue eating more and more.  It's incredibly easy to do, just time consuming since you need to wait for the layers to freeze before continuing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter