- 6 cups sliced, trimmed pickling cucumbers (1/4" slices)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup preserving and pickling salt (you can just use regular salt, if desired)
- 1 3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2/3 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2/3 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pickle granules
- Combine cucumbers, onions and salt in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix well, cover with cold water and let stand at room temperature for two hours. Transfer to a colander placed over a sink, rinse with cool running water and drain thoroughly.
- Prepare stockpot/canner and jars
- Combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir in vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Pack vegetables into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add rounded 1/8 teaspoon pickle granules. Ladle hot pickling liquid over vegetables, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles: re-measure headspace. If needed, add more cucumbers to meet recommended headspace. Wipe rim, center lid on jar. Screw band until fingertip-tight.
- Process filled jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove stockpot lid. Wait 5 minutes., then remove jars, cool and store.
- Allow to sit for 24 hours before eating
I hope you enjoy!