Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Modified "Easy Chickpea Curry"

When I lived in Japan, I had a Scottish neighbor who would often invite me to dinner.  She would make her signature dish - a type of Thai curry made with coconut milk.  It offers a "sweet and spicy" taste.  Well, I thought I could find a recipe on the internet that would offer this same type of idea.  I kept finding chicken and fish dishes only.  It was hard to substitute it with anything I had in stock (ideally tofu).  Instead, I found this other recipe.  It seemed perfect because I had every ingredient.  After starting it out, I came to realize that my potatoes were 'soft'.  According to Jon, I could probably still eat them.  The internet sources I read advised against it.  In the end, I decided to substitute in peas and spinach in place of the potatoes.  It honestly had a really good taste to it.  I think I overdid the spinach.  I used a whole frozen 10 oz. bag.  I could have probably gotten away with 7 oz.  I also served it over brown rice since I had about 3 cups cooked and ready to use (I made too much when I made my Bombay rice and peas).  I think the taste of the spices and curry would have been better brought out through jasmine rice or white rice.  Overall, it was good and I would definitely like to try it again.  I am going to supply my recipe below and link back to the original one that includes potatoes instead of my peas and spinach.


 ngredients:
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans,
drained
4 oz frozen peas
7 oz frozen spinach
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 tomato, chopped
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 cubes vegetable bouillon

Directions:
1. Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Cook and stir the onion and garlic in the melted butter for about 5 minutes, until onion is translucent. Sprinkle in curry powder, garam masala, paprika, sugar, ginger, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook and stir 3 to 4 more minutes, until spices are lightly toasted.
2. Mix in the garbanzo beans, peas, spinach, coconut milk, tomato, milk, ketchup, sour cream, and bouillon cubes. Simmer the curry over medium-low heat for about 25 minutes.
Original recipe here (from allrecipes.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter