Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Italian Flavored Tempeh

What in the world is tempeh?  That's the question that I am most often asked when I bring it up.  I have been a vegetarian for twenty years.  My first experience with tempeh was about 2 years ago.  I am not sure if this a recent invention for vegetarians...or if I've been missing out for years.  I first tried a tempeh reuben at a local restaurant.  It was phenomenal and I usually get it when I eat there.  Then about one year ago, I discovered how to make BBQ tempeh (recipe to come another post).  The BBQ tempeh was even better.  Now, I have a new recipe, thanks to an old roommate who has gone vegetarian.  It is simple.  What's even better, I had all the ingredients ready to go.  So, what is tempeh, you ask?  I never answered that question did I.  It's because I can't.  It's a soy product that takes on the taste and flavor of whatever you put with it.  This recipe marinates the tempeh in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and olive oil with other spices.  I LOVED it and so did three of my colleagues.  Jon, on the other hand, wasn't overly impressed.  Too bad.  I ate it by itself and then ate it in my salad.  Other suggestions include serving it over rice or couscous.  Thanks go to Sam, for the delicious recipe (see below):


1¼ hours | 1 hour prep
SERVES 4
  • 8 ounces tempeh

For the marinade

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed between fingers
  1. Cut tempeh into 1/2 inch wide cubes.
  2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a container with a lid, stir to combine.
  3. Add tempeh, cover and shake well until all pieces are coated.
  4. Place in refrigerator for one hour or overnight.
  5. Shake container every now and again (when you think of it) to coat all pieces. The tempeh will begin to absorb all the marinade.
  6. When ready to cook, heat a non stick skillet over medium low heat.
  7. Add tempeh and any liquid and cook for about 10 minutes, turning pieces until they begin to caramelize.
  8. Serve immediately or keep in a covered container in fridge.
Link: from Recipezaar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter