Over four years ago, my sister Lisa gave me this recipe. I don't even know where she got it from, so I can't credit the source. The first time I made it was for Jon's twentieth birthday as a surprise. He absolutely loved it. It got lost over the years and it resurfaced in my gmail account in March. I surprised Jon again by making it. We have been making it quite regularly since March. It's a little bit more expensive of a dish with all the ingredients, but it's well worth it. It leaves us with alot of leftovers, so it feels like although the ingredients cost alot, we get quite a few meals out of it. I highly recommend you try this recipe. I promise you won't be disappointed!
8oz dried lasagna noodles (9-10) OR one box of no boil lasagne
2 beaten eggs
2 cups cottage cheese
1 15oz. carton ricotta cheese
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
½ to 1 teaspoon black pepper
1 ¼ cups milk
1 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
1 10 oz package frozen broccoli, thawed and thoroughly drained
1 cup shredded carrots
¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese (3oz)
1 8oz. package shredded mozzarella chesse
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain, set aside. (unless using no boil noodles)
2. In a bowl combine beaten eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in flour and pepper; add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, broccoli, carrot and only ½ cup of parmesan cheese.
4. To assemble, in a greased 3 quart (13X9 pan) rectangular baking dish layer 1/3 of the noodles, folding or cutting to fit, if necessary. Spread with 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture. Then with 1/3 of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers twice. Sprinkle with ¼ cup remaining parmesan cheese.
5. Bake uncovered in oven 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.